SQ6

For this study question, state at least one of your hypotheses and the subsequent correlation results you found. Make sure that you have justification and rationale for why you are hypothesizing what you are hypothesizing (this is necessary for your paper, you don’t have to write out the full rationale here). After you present the results (report statistics in APA format), discuss what you found and why it may or may not support your hypothesis. Some of you will have the same hypotheses and findings – you can use this space to brainstorm why the results did or did not support your hypotheses.

27 thoughts on “SQ6”

1. A hypothesis I am testing is: The more conscientious a person is, the higher their academic achievement (measured by GPA). I believe these conscientiousness is linked with academic achievement because when someone is conscientious, they are organized and academically driven, thus they should be able to attain a higher GPA because of these qualities.

A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality dimension conscientiousness and the likelihood that students have a higher academic achievement. Results show that there was a significant correlation between conscientiousness and academic achievement ( r= .215, n=81, p=.001).

My results corresponded positively with my hypothesis. The results were significant and it is shown that the more conscientious a person is, the higher their academic achievement in (in this case, the higher their GPA).

2. One of my hypotheses for this paper is that those who scored high on neuroticism will also suffer from academic anxiety. The reason I came up with this hypothesis is because it has been shown that those who have high scores in neuroticism have more potential to have negative emotions that they provoke. For example, a person high in neuroticism is more likely to doubt themselves and their abilities. Therefore, they are more prone to academic anxiety since they doubt themselves and put such pressure on themselves.
    We ran a persons correlation tests to determine whether or not there was a correlation between these two variables (neuroticism and academic anxiety). Our results presented through SPSS show that there was a positive significant correlation between the two variables (r=.476, n= 77, p= .001).
    This supports my hypotheses because the numbers show that neuroticism does indeed have a correlation with academic anxiety. Therefore, the higher the participant scores on neuroticism, the more likely they are to suffer from academic anxiety.

1. Hi Loraine,

I also hypothesized this as well! There definitely is a strong correlation between academic anxiety and neuroticism due to the amount of pressure people put on themselves. People who score high in neuroticism usually worry a lot and stress themselves out. If a student that scores high in neuroticism doesn’t do well, they will put themselves down which leads to even more anxiety.

2. Hi,
      I agree with your hypothesis and I ran the same test because it is something we see among our own friends and other students all the time. I also believe that students who are more likely to have negative emotions are more prone to have anxiety when it comes to school. The Pearson correlation only strengthens this hypothesis further.

3. One hypothesis of mine focuses on the relationship between conscientiousness and social learning and help-seeking. Because conscientiousness describes an individual who understands the consequences of their actions and behaves accordingly, I believe a conscientious student would be responsible enough to learn from others and ask questions in order to avoid falling behind in academics.
    After running a Pearson correlation to examine the relationship between conscientiousness and social learning and help-seeking, the results showed that there was a significant relationship. (r = .254, n = 81, p = .022.
    The results proved that my hypothesis was correct, and that a conscientious student is more likely to be a social learner and a help-seeking individual.

1. Hi Afifa,

I think it’s fascinating how you connected Conscientiousness to social learning and help-seeking. As soon as I see Conscientiousness, I think of higher GPAs. So, I think you’re hypothesis is very original. I like the rationale behind your prediction.

Thumbs up!

2. Hi Afifa,

I really like how you connected conscientiousness to social learning and help seeking. Most people connected conscientiousness to academic achievement so yours was very creative. I also felt you had some good logical reasoning to support your hypothesis so I’m interested to see what ideas will surface in your paper.

4. I hypothesized that the more organized a person is, the more likely they will score high for conscientiousness. Conscientiousness is the personality dimension that shows thoughtfulness and organization. People that score high in conscientiousness are usually prepared, organized, and responsible. Students that score high in conscientiousness usually are ones that plan ahead before an assignment and finish all of their tasks on time. A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between conscientiousness and organization. Results show a significant correlation between conscientiousness and organization (r=.676, n=81, p=.001). My results proved my hypothesis to be correct because there is a significantly strong, positive correlation between conscientiousness and organization.

5. My hypothesis for this paper was that those who score high in neuroticism who also score highly in academic anxiety. My rationale for this hypothesis was that fact that neuroticism is characterized by fear, worry, and frustration. These general traits will carry over to an academic setting and be manifested as academic anxiety.
    After running a Pearson’s correlation tests to examine the relationship between the personality dimension neuroticism and the likely hood that students would exhibit academics anxiety. Results showed a significant correlation between the neuroticism and academic anxiety (r=.476, n= 77, p= .001).
    The results from the Pearson’s correlation test support my hypothesis that those who exhibit a neurotic personality are more likely to have academic anxiety

1. Hi George,

One of my hypothesis is also the same as yours! I agree that more neurotic people will tend to remain anxious about their grades and how they’re doing in school and will in turn exhibit high academic anxiety. I completely agree with your thought process behind this hypothesis, as well.

6. Hello,

One of my hypotheses for this study is that the higher students score in Neuroticism, the more likely they are to experience academic anxiety. Among the Big Five personalities, Neuroticism carries with it negative traits such as pessimism, insecurity, and nervousness. People with high level of Neuroticism also tend to spend prolonged periods of time thinking of the many ways something could go wrong. Therefore, I predicted that students with a high percentage of Neuroticism would become more anxious when they have an assignment due soon, for instance. After running a Pearson correlation with the data collected from students at Hunter College, my prediction proved to be accurate. There is a significant correlation between Neuroticism and academic anxiety (r= .476**, n= 77, p= .001).

7. One of my hypotheses for this paper is that students ranking high in extroversion will be more likely to partake in social learning and help-seeking. I think this will be proven true because extroverts have an easier time approaching and talking to people as compared to introverts.

A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the extroversion of an individual and their likeliness of taking part in social learning and help-seeking. Results show that there was a significant correlation between extroversion and social learning & help seeking (r = .414, n = 81, p = .001).

The results of this Pearson correlation support my initial hypothesis; as extroversion increases, so does the likelihood of an individual partaking in social learning and help-seeking. I believe the reasoning remains the same; since these individuals are extroverted, they have an easier time asking for help and being involved with their peers as compared to someone who exhibits more introversion.

8. A hypothesis I am testing is: the higher a person’s score in conscientiousness, the more likely they are to exhibit organization and planning behaviors. I think this hypothesis will be proven true because conscientious people are organized, determined, and self-disciplined.

A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality dimension conscientiousness and the likelihood that students exhibit organization and planning behaviors. Results show that there was a strong positive correlation beteeen conscientiousness and organization and planning (r = .676, n = 80, p = .001).

These results support my hypothesis and were significant. This shows that the more conscientious a person is, the more likely they are to plan and organize their time and work.

1. Hello Simona,
      One of my hypothesis is the same as yours. I agree with the reasoning behind your hypothesis the higher a person’s score in conscientiousness, the more likely they are to exhibit organization and planning behaviors. I also did the Pearson correlation and found that there was a strong positive correlation between conscientiousness and organization and planning.

9. One hypothesis I am testing is that the more extrovert a student is the more likely they are going to seek help and learn socially. I think this hypothesis will be proven true because the more outgoing and expressive a student is the more they will work with groups and seek help from others.

A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality dimension extroversion and the likelihood of taking part of social learning and help-seeking from other. Results show that there was significant correlation between two variables (r = .414, n = 81, p = .001).

These results support my hypothesis that extroversion and social learning/help-seeking has a significant correlation. The more extrovert a student is the more likely they are going to seek help and partake social learning.

10. My hypothesis is that students with higher conscientiousness scores will have higher location choices and time management scores. I came up with this hypothesis because people with higher conscientiousness is more aware of their surroundings and are more capable of putting off instant gratifications for better results. Therefore someone that is more aware of their situation will want to study in more suitable area for better results.

A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between conscientiousness scores and location choices and time management scores. The results show that there was no significant correlation between conscientiousness scores and location choices and time management scores (r = .163, n = 81, p = .146).

The results do not support my hypothesis because there was no significant difference. It may be due to questions in regards to time management and location choices. The survey only had three questions regarding location choices and time management. Of the three questions, one question asked about listening to music and studying. Music was registered as a negative or distraction for studying behavior, however it may not be true. This could have skewed the results.

1. Andrew,
      This is also one of my hypotheses. I was surprised when the Pearson correlation found no significance between conscientiousness and location choice/time management. I agree with your reasoning that no significance was found in part because there were only three questions that asked about location choice and time management.

11. One of my hypothesis is that the more extroverted a student is the more higher they rank in social learning and help seeking. I believe that the more extroverted someone is, the more they are willing to seek help and go talk to others. This makes them a more social person and they learn in social settings. A Pearson correlation used to explain the relationship between extroversion and score on social learning and help seeking show that there was a significant correlation between extroversion and social learning/help seeking ( r= .414**, N=81, p=.000). These results show that there is a positive correlation between the two variables and that the more extroverted a student is the more they are willing to seek help/ be a social learner.

12. One of my hypotheses states that individuals who score high on neuroticism are more likely to score high in academic anxiety. I believe this is because those who are neurotic tend to experience worry,fear and anxiety in higher amounts than the average individual does. Constantly being mentally preoccupied with all the possible ways something could go wrong. Those who have high academic anxiety tend to worry very much about their academic success such as their future performance on exams, how their gpa will be affected,they may have self degrading thoughts and/or predictions of failure. After running a Pearson’s correlation test between neuroticism and academic anxiety, results show a moderately positive correlation and significant relationship between the two variables (r=.476, n= 80, p=.001). The results supported my hypothesis showing that those who are more neurotic are more likely to have greater academic anxiety.

13. One of my hypotheses is that those who scored high in neuroticism would be more susceptible to experience high levels of academic anxiety. I hypothesized that these two factors would be positively correlated as neuroticism is described as having increased levels of anxiety, worry, and have struggles coping with stressors. The stress of having assignments due, examinations or trying to maintain a certain GPA would affect individuals with high scores in neuroticism much more than those with lower scores. Upon running a pearson correlation test to evaluate the relationship between neuroticism and academic anxiety, the results indicate a significant positive correlation between neuroticism and academic anxiety ( r=.476, n= 80, p=.001). Such results support my hypothesis that individuals with the personality trait of neuroticism are more likely to exhibit high levels of academic anxiety.

14. I am interested in looking at the relationship between neuroticism and academic anxiety. My hypothesis states that individuals who score high on neuroticism will most likely experience more academic anxiety. Neuroticism is described as a person’s likelihood to experience negative emotions which include things like fear and anxiety. It makes sense that someone who is very neurotic will experience anxiety in academic circumstances.
    A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality dimension neuroticism and the likelihood that students exhibit academic anxiety. Results show that there was a significant correlation between neuroticism and academic anxiety (r= .476, n=77, p= .001).
    These results support my hypothesis because it shows a strong correlation between the two variables. Hence, the higher someone scores on neuroticism, the more academic anxiety they will likely experience.

15. One of my hypotheses was that students with a higher conscientiousness score in their personality dimension would also have a higher tendency to stay on top of their organization and planning behaviors. My reasoning is that a student who is more conscious about their learning tends to dedicate more of his time into increasing his quality of life in terms of academics. This in turn should improve GPA, but that would be another hypothesis.
    A Pearson Correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality dimension conscientiousness and the likelihood that students exhibit organization and planning behaviors. Results show that there was a significant correlation between conscientiousness and organization and planning (r = .676, n=80, p = .01).
    There was a significant correlation between scores, therefore the results support my hypothesis. A student with a higher conscientiousness score would also exhibit more organization and planning behaviors.

16. A hypothesis that I have composed is relationships between higher neuroticism and the likelihood of academic anxiety will have a significance. I believe that this hypothesis is true because those plagued with negative thoughts might tend to worry more about how they are performing in a high pressure place such as a university. I am hypothesizing about this because I am curious if this is true among my peers because I have also seen it with own eyes.
    A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality dimension neuroticism and the likelihood that students will exhibit academic anxiety. Results show that there was a positive significance. ( r = .476, n = 77, p = 0.01)

17. – I hypothesize that a high level or score of extroversion the more likely students will exhibit social learning and help seeking behaviors. I believe this because extroversion is to the degree in which one if fulfilled with external interactions with others, students with a high level or score of extroversion are more likely to study in groups and participate in help seeking behaviors like seeking others or professors for assistance.
    – A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality dimension extroversion and the likelihood that students exhibit social learning and help seeking behaviors. Results show that there was a significant correlation between extroversion and social learning and help seeking behaviors (r = .414, n = 81, p = .01).
    – My results correspond with my hypothesis. The results were significant and the relationship between extroversion and social learning and help seeking behaviors is moderate. This means that the more extroverted a person is the more likely they will exhibit social learning and help seeking behaviors. Some reasons that the relationship is not stronger may be because a question regarding attending office hours of a professor is included and the relationship between a student and a peer and a student and a professor differs which may have an effect on the relationship between extroversion and social learning and help seeking behaviors.

18. One of my hypotheses for this experiment is that the higher the level of agreeableness, the lower the academic achievement/ GPA. I believe this to be true because if one possesses the qualities of agreeableness, such as altruism, they are less likely to achieve higher academically because they are not as interested in competing with others. Although the Pearson correlation that was run shows that the result is not statistically significant, the result is still in the same direction as hypothesized (r = -.006, n = 81, p = .954). This supports the hypothesis because it is in the same direction, however because it is not statistically significant, there is not enough evidence that the lower academic achievement is due to the high level of agreeableness.

19. One of my hypothesis for this paper is if a person scores high in neuroticism, their academic achievement/GPA will be lower. I believed that this hypothesis would be true because a high score in neuroticism typically suggests that the person is anxious, sensitive, nervous, worked up, and irrational. Personally, I think that these behaviors can result in academic anxiety and therefore a lower GPA.

A Pearson correlation was run to examine the relationship between the personality trait of neuroticism and the likelihood of having a low GPA/academic achievement. Results show that there wasn’t a significant relationship between neuroticism and overall GPA (r = .152, n = 80, p = .178).

This does not support the hypothesis because it doesn’t show a relationship between the two variables. This could have been caused by the idea that neuroticism does not really affect GPA overall.